Earlier on in the year I visited Bali for the first time! In Perth going to Bali is almost a rite of passage and it seems like nearly everyone has been at least once, with people visiting multiple times every year. For such a tiny island there are lots of place to visit and things to experience. It doesn’t matter if you’re an adrenaline junkie or a culture buff there is something for everyone.
In no particular order is is a list of nine things you can do when you visit Bali!
1. Visit a Temple. Hindu Temples can be found all over Bali and visiting one is a great way to observe local culture. Not only are they amazing sights but they can also be an amazing experience as well (My friends and I received blessings from a local priest when we visited Tanah Lot!). Just don’t forget to familiarise yourself with temple etiquette before you visit!
2. Visit Taman Kupu-Kupu Bali. Also know as the Bali Butterfly Park, this sites gives you the opportunities to see up close the different types of butterflies that can be found around the island. We also had the chance to see the butterflies in different stages of metamorphosis (from caterpillar to cocoon to butterfly!) and to view the fully grown butterflies up close.
3. Go Snorkeling. This was the highlight of my trip to Bali! We did a day tour which took us to three different diving spots along Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan. Not only did we spend most of the day snorkeling but we also went kayaking though mangroves. Our guides were wonderful and the company also included a return transfer from our villa in the cost.
4. Don’t forget about natural wonders. There is so many different things to do when you’re in Bali, so it is easy to overlook sites such as Tenungan Waterfall. Not only is this a beautiful place to visit, but you also get a killer workout from climbing all the stairs to get there!
5. Try new foods and drinks. This is the chance to step out of your comfort zone when it comes to food as traditional Balinese food is delicious! Also don’t forget to try Strawberry Juice …trust me!
6. Go shopping. Shopping in Bali can definitely be an experience, especially for those who are new to haggling like I am. I can see why people have so much fun trying to settle on a price and just walking around the streets of Kuta you’ll be able to find and buy a huge variety of things. If you’re not interested in haggling, the big shopping centres are still a sight to see.
7. Visit the Turtle Conservation and Education Centre. Although this place was a little hard to get to it was worth every minute. When we arrived we had the whole place to ourselves! Our guide took us around the facility and talked to us about rescuing turtles that had been injured or captured by illegal traders, plus the steps they take to rehabilitate them. We also had the opportunity to see newly hatched baby turtles!
8. Go for a walk and explore. Taking the chance to get away from the main tourist areas it a great way to experience a different side of Bali. Walking around people watching was a fun (and free!) way to spend time between visiting different sites.
9. Have fun and do what you want. Some people want to explore every inch of the island and experience as much as they can, while other prefer to stay in their hotel and relax by the pool (preferably one with a poolside bar). There is no right or wrong way to spend your time at Bali and all you need to do is make sure your holiday is perfect for you!